Karneval is a sci-fi series about a boy named Nai, a thief named Gareki, and a governmental organization called Circus.
Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Josei*, Shoujo*, Sci-fi, Mystery.
My Rating: 9
Episode Length: 24minutes
Aired: April 2013 – June 2013
Mangaka: Mikanagi Touya
Description: Nai and Garkei meet for the first time in a mansion owned by a varuga named Mine. Nai was captured by Mine when searching for Karoku, and Gareki was robbing Mine. The two boys make a deal that marks the beginning of their long adventure. Gareki will help Nai escape from Mine in return for the Circus ID bracelet that Nai wears. However, Nai will give the bracelet to Gareki after asking Karoku, since the bracelet belongs to him. With the deal between the two, they escape their first varuga and encounter the governmental organization Circus. Now, somehow involved with Circus, both Nai and Gareki will learn more about the varuga and the varuga organization Kafka.
– The manga is josei and anime is shoujo. Animes typically are shounen or shoujo. I don’t think I’ve ever heard an anime categorized as josei. I guess it’s this weird silent rule…???
– My rating might be swayed a bit. The anime had some of my favorite voice actors, and I really liked one of the characters. It’s also been a while since I’ve watched anime like this. Or read a manga with this type of plot.
– I know I didn’t go into detail about the varuga, but I purposely did that. I think it’s better to watch/read the series and find out by yourself. Things get messed up and complex with some of the characters after all…
– Sadly, no second season of the anime. I would recommend trying the manga. I believe that the anime left off around chapter 37. There were changes from the manga to anime; some people didn’t mind them and others did… :)
– Karneval is like Free! in the aspect that they sometimes play with the BL aspect. When I watched the first couple minutes of Karneval, I thought it was yaoi or bl and I was shocked
because I had never heard anyone say anything about it. For those who hate bl, rest assured, karneval is not. If anything the series is too focused on the plot and action to be concerned with romance which isn’t bad at all.